Once your home is sold, be organized about bing organized to smoothly transition between homes. Here’s a handy checklist to keep stress at a minimum when moving, though we know it is always something right!
8 Weeks Before Your Move
- Arrange to have medical, dental, vet, and school records transferred, including prescriptions and proof of immunization.
- Double-check with your insurance agent to ensure your move is covered.
- Contact health clubs or other organizations to find out how to move, sell, or end your membership.
4 Weeks Before Your Move
- Have your automobiles serviced and registration records transferred or updated.
- Return or retrieve items on loan or being serviced, such as library books, movie rentals, dry cleaning, jewelry repairs or other personal possessions you’ve borrowed.
2 Weeks Before Your Move
- Contact your bank and/or credit union to transfer or close accounts. Clear out safety deposit boxes. Pick up traveler’s checks or cash for “on the road” expenses and confirm travel arrangements, including moving services, car rentals, flight plans and hotel reservations.
- Plan meals for the last week of the move to help empty the refrigerator and avoid using appliances that will already be packed.
- 1 Week Before Your Move
- Notify friends and family of your new address and phone number with a free Moving Notice. Have your mail forwarded from the post office using their online service.
- Finish packing, keeping suitcases and valuables seperate, and prepare an “essentials” box. Designate what will be the “last load” items. You’ll be able to unpack those first.
- Fill and prescriptions you will need until you’ve settled into your new home.
For expert advice on buying or selling, please call our team or myself directly – Gloria Hardington at Howard Hanna Rocky River Real Estate Services 440 356 2200 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This article first appeared in West Life in August 2014